Monday, June 27, 2016

Art and Profit

You may recall that I intend to polish up Shining and get it published. Perhaps I should explain a little more of my plan.

At the moment, I'm aiming to sell the book for $10 a copy. When I punch in the numbers at Amazon's services (since publishers haven't given me their estimates yet), that can equate about $1.50 or $2 per book in royalties. Considering how much money I've put into the project, I have to sell at least 1000 just to make even. However, if you consider the amount of time I've put into the project, that's not even close to enough.

Every foray into the art industry is a risk. It takes a lot of time, energy, and money to create something, even more to polish it up, and then to market it. If I can sell 1000 copies, I guess I will be satisfied, but as an unknown in the industry, I doubt I will reach that. This means that Shining itself is sort of like an investment to help get my name out there. Of course, that means I need to then write another novel in hopes of reaping any benefits. That means a lot more time, energy, and costs.

Unfortunately, as I grow older and obtain more responsibilities, this becomes even more difficult. It also means that the reward system needs to be good if I hope to use it to provide for a living. As a teenager, I used to not care so much about copyright, but when I decided I wanted to be an artist as well, and faced with the reality of how difficult it is to get by, I cannot accept that violating copyrights is okay. That is why I'm asking you that, even though a draft of Shining is available on this blog, please do not distribute it for your own profit. And when the book does come out, I'm okay with you lending it and talking about it with friends, even putting it in the local library, but please don't upload the finish product.

Thank you,
J. D. Nyle

No comments:

Post a Comment