Friday, February 10, 2023

On Mega Man Battle Network's Advertising

It sure has been a while since I've posted here. Don't worry as Neostriker SABRE is still ongoing. I even got some progress in the direction to go, which I was struggling for a long time. I had this theme I wanted to explore, but even though it was fun, it didn't click and added problems. The new solution is nice because it builds up on prior themes ad sets the stage for further dynamics.

Now I just need to make the time to actually write those missing stories.

Speaking of missing stories, I've had a nice heartwarming one ready since earlier last year. Just still waiting on a cover art. Likely I'll need to need artists again.

Now for the main reason for this post. As Mega Man Battle network was a major help in me refining my battle system, I'm excited for the upcoming collection, but I have thoughts on the advertising. 


When I see the advertisements for Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection, I’m reminded of how my impressions of advertising 20 years ago was boring. This was my thoughts until a friend lent me the game for a while and then I was hooked. This brings into perspective that the advertising was mostly effective for people who had already played the game and enjoyed the core mechanics. But when shown in a gameplay trailer where you slowly do damage against a boss, yeah it makes it look boring.


So why are so many people excited about these games? Were they actually fun? Yes! So here is my introduction to games that were great fun.


A Great Blend of Turn Based, Tactical, and Real Time Action

The core gameplay is the battle system. With variations in each game, the core is at the start of each turn, you get to pick from a selection of programs called battle chips to use in real time combat. Set traps, limit enemy movement, activate counters, change the terrain, even use rocks for massive damage. Use them and your default weapon wisely for effective combinations. Get the right mix and you can even do program advances for great effects.


Customize According to Your Play Style

You are free to build your deck as you like. Later games even reward you with modifications you can swap in and out. Some are more permanent while others you have to decide which to utilize. And if you want to be risky, you can even add a bug to get an added boost while suffering a defect.


Story leads to different mechanics

I won’t spoil the stories, but it is a complete series with no cliffhangers. And each story beat will place you to solve different puzzles and mechanics such as firefighting or position based tactics. 


Different enemies and bosses are their own little puzzle

Some battle chips are more effective against different enemies. Some battle chips can give the crucial advantage to defeating a challenging boss.


Discover and Earn More Powerful Battle Chips

Some rare battle chips are hidden throughout the world. Many are obtainable by performing well in combat. Can you defeat a boss within 30 seconds to unlock their power?


Take on challenging bosses in post-game content

Not much more to say there. When you fight Bass in post-game, it’ll likely take a few tries before you will win.


Battle and Trade With Others

Playing against friends, comparing libraries, and trading chips is a great experience that can make even the weakest entries fun to come back to.


The Main Theme is great

I often would turn on my Game Boy Advance and just let it sit on the opening screen. Love that song


My Personal Ranking

3 is my favorite. The removal of 1 style change slot is annoying, but the Navi customizer is great. Being able to raise viruses to level up chips was also fun. I also enjoyed the story.


2 is also a great game with people enjoying the mechanics and story.


6 ends on a pretty good note in terms of mechanics and story is fine.


5 Double Team is great improvement to Team Colonel and Team Protoman but that was a DS game. If they sneak in those mechanics, then I’ll be pleasantly surprised. I actually replayed it a few times because it had 2 save slots.


1 I don’t remember much about.


4 has some great ideas but unfortunately also some real bad ones that ruin the experience. That being said, there is fun to have if you can withstand going through some annoying parts at least 3 times. PSA: Use a guide to make sure you get all of the chips you need before doing the next playthrough. Though the global trading network might help relieve that issue now.


No comments:

Post a Comment